- The word hipopotamus comes from the greek word water horse. Hippos are water loving animals and need to stay moist otherwise their skin becomes dry and cracks.
- They are the third largest land animal after the white Rhino and the Elephant.
- They can only survive where there is abundant water so they live near rivers and lakes.
- Hippos spend up to 16 hours per day in water, this keeps them cool. They spend the whole day in water and look for food at night.
- Although hippos seem cute and cuddly they are very dangerous.
- Hippos move quicly through water but they can't swim. They push themselves upward and forward from objects in the water.